Gemini MAS-1 - Performance Controller
Do we really need another Ableton Control surface?
The market has seen a plethora of control surfaces designed for use with clip-based software, such as Ableton. Most of the layout for these units feature a grid of buttons and a bunch of rotary encoders.
The Gemini MAS-1 is a slightly different kind of animal. The MAS-1 has the look and feel of a traditional 4-channel DJ mixer but with the added control elements for Lives devices, effects, clip and scene control via backlit RGB backlit buttons and encoders with LED rings. The MAS-1 has been created for those who want to retain a more DJ-centric workflow.
With 100mm line faders, full EQ, Gain control per channel, 45mm crossfader, BPM section for smoother mixing into external sources and full looping control, including in, out, and loop length. Add to that a low latency high-performance 4-channel audio interface and the MAS-1 is more than just an Ableton controller. Features:
- Built-in low latency high-performance 4 channel audio interface with balanced XLR, RCA outputs.
- 4 channel mixer section, with full EQ and 100mm channel faders.
- 45mm crossfader for fast, DJ-style transitions.
- Full clip control, with scene and clip launching and RGB illumination.
- Colour-coded knobs for easy identification of each function.
- Adjustable device control section allows for control of individual components.
- BPM control through bend buttons, tap BPM, or direct input via knob.
- Encoders with LED rings for adaptive software feedback.
- Full looping control including in, out, and active buttons and loop length knobs.
- USB MIDI
Built-in stand with multiple angles to ensure proper visibility. I can see this appealing to computer based DJ’s taking their first tentative steps into the live performance world of Ableton. The MAS-1 retains the heart of a traditional DJ mixer but with 21st Century DAW control. This is quite a unique DJ Equipment product to come from the latest incarnation of Gemini. Let's hope that the build quality and reliability issues, of past, have been taken control of.
DUE Q2 2017 at $299